Friday, May 13, 2011

Ottotest Update

I have been trying to implement the Ottotest into my diagnostics as much as possible. It seems to have shortcomings every time I use it. I had a 2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer with a Service 4wd lamp on. The Ottotest didn't even recognize the four wheel drive module and I was forced to use the shops own Snap On Solus to retrieve codes for the four wheel drive system. How embarassing! Next up was a no start/no crank on a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Ottotest did a great job on retrieving a PCM code of P0513 (Invalid Skim Key) and communicating with all the other modules save one. You guessed it no communication/no menu for the SKREEM (Security) Module. The one module I needed to communicate with, the scanner shut me out. I realize that immobilizer recoding is beyond aftermarket scanner abilities. But, let me in, so I can see if its on the data buss and maybe some parameters. I had to resort to tedious backprobing at the SKREEM Module to verify operation. More time wasted. The tablet is slow. So slow that sometimes if you get impatient with commands you will lock up the program forcing a hard reboot. More time wasted. The battery life is nowhere near advertised. I have been sending feedback to Blue Streak every week. I am starting to think this tool was not as advertised and it has cost me money rather than making it. Time will tell.